Friday 1 July 2011

A big day!

On Wednesday 29 June 2011, the NSW Minister for the Arts, the Hon George Souris, announced that I have been appointed as the State Librarian and Chief Executive of the State Library of NSW. See http://blog.sl.nsw.gov.au/media/. I will take up the position on 5 September 2011.This is a fantastic honour and great professional opportunity. So I have decided to start an occasional blog about my experiences in the position.

Wednesday was quite a day. Following the Minister's announcement, I visited the State Library to meet the executive - who are most impressive team - and then be introduced to the staff by the Chair of the Libraries Council, Mr Rob Thomas, who is a very strong advocate and supporter of the Library.

I returned to UTS where I was given a rousing official farewell before lots of friends and colleagues. Organised and convened by my boss, the Deputy Vice Chancellor (Teaching, Learning & Equity) Professor Shirley Alexander, it featured:

  • acknowledgement of country by the wonderful Joan Tranter who explains the importance of acknowledging country so well
  • an address by the Vice Chancellor, Professor Ross Milbourne, which was very generous in describing my achievements at UTS
  • very warm comments from my friend and colleague Professor Jill McKeough, Dean of Law
  • engaging and amusing comments from my friend and colleague Mal Booth who will be the acting University Librarian after I leave - see http://frommelbin.blogspot.com/   
  • a great animation made by my friend ands colleagues Sharlene Scobie and Belinda Tiffen
  • a song by my friend and colleague Professor Theo Van Leeuwen  to the tune of "My favourite things"
  • and a response from me.
I was then given a wonderful gift,  a Japanese-style woodcut by Theo Tipiloura Jilamara (Northern Editiorns, 2010,  New Japanese-style woodblocks from Tiwi Islands ).

After talking with so many friends and colleagues who attended, my lovely Sue, Kate and Daniel took me to dinner.

All in all, an extraordinary day! It really marked my transition from UTS which I will leave soon to my new role at the State Library where I hope to do great things with its staff, Council and the Public Libraries Network.

 - Alex Byrne

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the appointment to the State Library of NSW. I'm sure you'll do a great job of leading them into the future :-)

    ReplyDelete